VMware Cloud Community
whuber97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

changing an RDM disk to independant mode to exclude from VCB backups

Hi,

I have an existing virtual server that is Windows 2003 x64, running SQL 2005 x64. The OS and SQL install bits are on C:. I have an RDM disk in virtual compatibility mode that is holding ONLY SQL databases and logs.

I want to exclude the RDM from the VCB backup, as I am backing up my SQL data other ways. I've read that one way to do this is to put the disk in independent mode. Can I shut down the VM, place the RDM in independent mode, then bring it back up with no problem?

Thanks,

Will

vExpert 2012, 2013 | VCDX #81 | @huberw
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

I want to exclude the RDM from the VCB backup, as I am backing up my SQL data other ways. I've read that one way to do this is to put the disk in independent mode. Can I shut down the VM, place the RDM in independent mode, then bring it back up with no problem?

Yes you can - check out kb 1006599. I had a customer try this backup approach with NetBackup/VCB and the job would fail. Would be interested to hear what backup software you are using, and if you get this to work.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
whuber97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That KB is about converting a physical RDM to a virtual RDM - which isn't what I'm trying to do.

I'm was asking if I could simply turn on "independent" mode for an already existing virtual RDM.

I just tried it, and it worked. After I was finished, my VCB backups are now performing as expected, it backs up all disks in the VM but excludes the independent ones.

Will

0 Kudos
whuber97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That KB is about converting a physical RDM to a virtual RDM - which isn't what I'm trying to do.

I'm was asking if I could simply turn on "independent" mode for an already existing virtual RDM.

I just tried it, and it worked. After I was finished, my VCB backups are now performing as expected, it backs up all disks in the VM but excludes the independent ones.

Will

0 Kudos
whuber97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By the way... we're using backup exec 12.5 with the VMware Infrastructure Agent.

0 Kudos