VMware Cloud Community
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

can we move one of multiple vmdks of one VM to different datastore?

Hi all,

vSphere 4.1

due to size issue, we want to move one vmdk from this VM to different datastore?

is this possible?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi ,

Its is possible, LOGIN thru vSphere Client in the Vcenter Server and

Right Click on that Particular VM -> Go to Edit Settings ->Click on Harddisk and check on DiskFile Tab (where is the VMDK file located on which Datastore)

After that Go to Inventory -> Datastores , find the datastore for that particular VM and Right click and click on Browse Datastore.

you will find some folder having ur VM folder also, Click on the Folder where is ur VMDK  file is located at the upper tab

Find the below snap

1894238.png

After Click on Move  it will ask for the confirm Move

After click on YES the move Items tab will show up

Click the Datastore and select the Destination Folder and Click on Move.

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your detailed steps.

I did move vmdk to another datastore.  So, how do I change the disk configuration of VM to point to this new vmdk on the new datastore.

since this is drive C.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

can't you do a Storage vMotion, choosing the advanced option?  This will allow you to pick and choose where you want each disk to reside.

0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

how do I change the disk configuration of VM to point to this new vmdk on the new datastore.

since this is drive C.

Go to VM Edit Settings Select Harddisk and Click on Add and Select the Existing Datastore and share the Path of the .vmdk file.

1894238_2.png

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos