VMware Cloud Community
pbrunnen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bcm5709 not present as storage controller

Hello all,

I have been googling around at this and trying different things over the past two days without much luck...

I have one esxi 5.0 host with a dual-port Broadcom BCM5709C NIC card added in (listed by dell as Dell Part# F169G).  The card not only appers as a NIC but also as a storage controller (hba).

This worked great, so I picked up two more on ebay (bcm95709A0907G).  But for these cards, they never appear under the storage controller config.  I see them as NICs and the vmkernel logs show that iscsi_not_supported for them.

Why does this work with one card, but not the other?

There is no config utility presented on system bootup to configure the NICs...

I can't seem to find any firmware files for this card online...

I can't find a way to activate the iSCSI offload...

Anyone have any thoughts where I can look next?   Is it possible some of these cards are not licensed for iscsi offload?

Thanks!

Sincerely, confused.

-Peter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

two models of BCM95709A0907G exist as you can see here: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps2q10-20100411-broadcom.pdf (Figure 1).

The firts supports iSCSI boot only, the second supports iSCSI and HBA too.
It seems that you have the first model.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

two models of BCM95709A0907G exist as you can see here: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps2q10-20100411-broadcom.pdf (Figure 1).

The firts supports iSCSI boot only, the second supports iSCSI and HBA too.
It seems that you have the first model.

0 Kudos
pbrunnen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi vlho,

I looked all over the place and couldn't find a document that defined that.  Looks like you have the magic touch.  Smiley Wink

It bothers me that they have two models with the same broadcom "BCM95709A0907G" part number...

Thanks for the help!  Smiley Happy

- Cheers, Peter.

0 Kudos