VMware Cloud Community
MaxFPB
Contributor
Contributor

Zoning LUN

Good day

Please assist me with zoning a LUN. I need one server to be able to see all the datastores, this is a requirement from my backup service provider. They need one media server to be able to see all the datastores, in order for the backup to work. We are using symntec netbackup. Please if someone can give me steps on how to do this. I have tried RDM but the option is greyed out and I have also discovered that RDM only works on raw unassigned LUNs.

You assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi welcome to the communities,

since you don't say what kind of storage you use, but are talking about zoning I guess you are using a SAN connected via fibre channel to your hosts?!

You need to configure the zoning in your fibre channel switches, so your media server has a connection to every storage HBA. And you need to configure the mapping of your LUNs on your SAN, so your media server is allowed to read ( read/write for restore maybe? ) them.

Regards

MaxFPB
Contributor
Contributor

Good day

Thank you for your response. I am using a SAN which is connected to the FC. It's actually a VM that needs to see all the datastores.

Can you please advise on where I can get the steps for zoning in the fibre channel switches and also the configuration of the mapping of the LUNs on on the SAN. All three hosts can see all the datastores, but I just need this one media server to be able to see them as well.

Thank you once again.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Well if you want the VM to see the LUNs of the SAN, you will need to pass through a PCI FC HBA to the VM: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-11089

After that the zoning and mapping will be the same as you did for your 3 hosts. So it's nothing virtual-special.

Regards