VMware Cloud Community
Doders69
Contributor
Contributor

Yes another 2TB Lun Question

Hi all,

I have inherited a SAN with a bunch of LUNS that are 2.0 TB in size ( or so its reported in the SAN console ).. This SAN is used as our backup, and has all the LUNS mapped as RDM's on our TSM server ( Linux ) on our 3.5 ESX Host.

My question or query is, I am aware of the 2TB limit in VMWARE, and having just installed 4.01on 1 of our hosts, I though id have a go at mapping some of these luns on the new host and see if it worked.

I have added the LUNS as a static map in the ISCSI software adaptor, and it worked, i rescanned and the LUN showed up, I then mapped it as a RDM on a test client and that worked as well, so is it safe to say that if all of those worked im Ok ?? Did i just get lucky, and those Luns are actually under the 2TB -512 Byte limit ??

Cheers Paull

0 Kudos
4 Replies
smokey71
Contributor
Contributor

VMware doco states that 2TB LUN's -512, are the limit for addressable disk space. In our environment, we map multiple 2TB RDM's and also 4TB RDM's with nary an issue. As you can see, from the attached screeshot, we have exceeded 2TB and are running just fine.

-

From Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/LUN_SP1.mspx

Windows Support for Logical Units Larger than 2 TB

With Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows XP 64-bit Edition (x64), these limits have changed.

Microsoft added support for 64-bit block numbers in the disk/class layer, using the new SCSI Commands included in the SCSI-3 Block Commands-2 command set. Microsoft also enabled GPT support for all Windows Server 2003 SP1 platforms. With this change, for example, a snapshot of a GPT partition on an Itanium-based machine can now be transported to a 32-bit machine for data mining or archiving purposes.

The new limits are as follows:

• Basic or dynamic volume size: 264 blocks = 273 bytes (too big to pronounce)

• Maximum NTFS file system size that can be realized on Windows: 256 TB

Note: Disk devices with more than 2 TB of disk space must be converted to GPT format for all of the disk space to be usable. If the device uses MBR format, the disk space beyond 2 TB will be unusable.

Hope this helps....

0 Kudos
user11112
Contributor
Contributor

With vsphare 4, can you please confirm you were able to create a parition within the guest that is bigger than 2TB?

I was with VMWare support on the line and they declined this possability with vshpere 4.

In my case, the guest is windows 2008.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
techsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No,

why because if you want to give 2tb of vmdk to the guest, the data store should be formatted with 8mb block size. otherwise it is not possible to create 2tb of vmdk.

so that based on storage limitations you can only create maximum 2tb vmdk. so that you can make it as 2tb of single partition.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100356...

Suresh

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

But of course you can add several 2TB luns/vdisks to a VM and combine them with LVM or some volume manager.

Regards

0 Kudos