VMware Cloud Community
LouBranda
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I find guidance for updating my ESX 4.0 U3 HBA driver and firmware version?

I have 4 ESX 4.0 U3 systems with Qlogic QLE2462 HBA's.  I have been asked to ensure that they are running the latest driver and firmware versions.  I cannot find definitive guidance for such a task.  It appears, based on my reading, that updated versions are provided by VMware through patches or official updates.  I have been to the knowledgebase area of VMware's site and have only found a driver update for ESX 3.5.  So I have 2 questions:

1.  Is my understanding of how updates are provided accurate?

2.  Is the process of updating hardware documented anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you can check the firmware/driver version below

Identifying the firmware of a Qlogic or Emulex FC HBA (1002413)

As for updating the firmware/driver.  We typically use the firmware maintenance CD's provided by the hardware manufacturer.

0 Kudos
LouBranda
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help Troy, I have the current driver and fw versions documented already.  I guess what I am asking is how can I find out if there is a later version approved by VMware.  Qlogic list's all operating system versions BUT VMware... 

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

typically for 4.x and above there will not really be a recommend firmware/driver version to be at.  You can check the HCL for I/O devices and that may give you a bit more information.

For us, when we do firmware updates on the hardware we usually go with what the hardware (HP, Dell, IBM, etc) vendor recommends.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

LouBranda
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks man, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

Looking at the 2 most common HBA manufacturers, Emulex and QLogic, there are very different approaches to firmware.  Emulex loads the firmware separately using a special tool and it must be done manually.  You then get the driver separately, typically from your OS manufacturer.  QLogic, on the other hand, loads the firmware automatically from the driver.  You then simply need to make sure your drivers are up to date and you can't get the firmware wrong.

You're at 4.0U3 which is the most recent 4.0 version for ESX at the moment.  As long as you keep on top of your ESX updates, you won't have an issue.  There will likely be newer drivers bundled with 4.1 or 5.0 releases and their updates.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
LouBranda
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all very much for your help.  We ended up downloading the HP Smart Firmware Update DVD, booted the machine off the DVD, and allowed the automatic install mode to do it's thing.

0 Kudos