VMware Cloud Community
tairatcliff
Contributor
Contributor

When deploying a new VM from template, storage DRS doesn't clone the .vmdk

I have been having a couple problems that seem to be intermittent.

I have a number of templates that I use to deploy VMs from. I have only recently upgraded to Enterprise Plus and have configured Storage DRS.

I have now have a wonderful issue when I deploy some new VMs (not all). This has now happened twice.

I deploy a new VM from a template and as part of the process I select where the new VM will be located. I click on the Storage DRS group to allow Storage DRS to detect the best datastore to place the new VM. 

The problems arise when I attempt to deploy another VM from the template. I get an error message that tells me the .vmdk file in use by another VM and is locked.

I go back to the last VM that I deployed and check the hard drive that is attached to it and yep..... instead of a new .vmdk being created its simply built a new VM and has used the templates .vmdk.

This causes a massive issues for me, if it isn't picked up straight away, then whoever has received the new VM is now modifying my templates .vmdk.

I can also no longer deploy any more VMs because the templates .vmdk is locked.

Currently Storage DRS is set to manual, this is only because its recently been configured and I want to make sure that it doesnt' automatically move something that I havent' configured it not to.

When i provision a new VM, I get a screen that pops up that asks me to allow Storage DRS to make the following changes in order for the new VM to be provisioned. I can only think that this manual Storage DRS has some issues and when it fails to clone the template disk it might default to just simply using it directly?

This has only happened since Storage DRS has been implemented.

I haven't logged a job with VMware yet, I figured I'd ask here first and see if it was a known issue and/or easy fix.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

Your issue sounds a lot like the bug that has been around since vCenter 2.x when using the "Edit virtuel hardware (Experimental)" feature within the deployment wizard..

Resize the harddrive a bit when deploying using the wizard ends up with the deployed VM using the .vmdk attached to the template VM...

This issue still exists in 5.1b...

/Rubeck

tairatcliff
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Rubeck, I hadn't thought about the edit virtual hardware.... however I have been using that feature on and off for years and never had any problems. Its only since storage DRS has been implemented that i've had this issue and its only happened twice, but generally its pretty painful when it does happen.

I might try and steer clear of the edit virtual hardware option and see if it does it again.

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Hi tairatcliff,

Could you file an SR with support.

The problem you are experiencing sounds severe.

By logging the problem you're helping support and engineering not only solve the problem much easier but possibly help to enhance the product

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos