VMware Cloud Community
jcha7965
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine will lose vSphere HA protection during vMotion to different datastore

Hello, I'm attempting to vMotion a VM to a different datastore that is accessible by the same host cluster. When I try to migrate to any datastore, I receive the following message -

"If this operation is performed, the virtual machine will lose vSphere HA protection. If you proceed with this operation and it completes successfully, "vSphere HA will not attempt to restart the VM after a subsequent failure. vSphere HA protection will be restored when any network partitions or disk accessibility issues are resolved.".

This is the first time I've encountered the message. I've tried migrated to a different host in the vCenter host cluster, then tried to vMotion to another datastore, but the message persists. I also tried migrating to a different host and datastore simultaneously and the outcome was also the same.

I tried overriding HA on the VM in the host cluster, but it doesn't seem to be successful as the VM still displays "vSphere HA Protection: Protected". 

How can I clear the warning, so I can proceed with migrating to a different datastore?

Thank you for your input.

Override.JPG

Warning.JPG

HA.JPG

Labels (7)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

But you have HA disabled judging by the config screens? I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here?

What type of storage is it? Is it presented to both hosts with the same identifier? Are you sure about that? This error only makes sense if somehow you have an inconsistently configured environment?

0 Kudos
jcha7965
Contributor
Contributor

It appears HA is disabled, but when I look at the VM summary, vSphere HA Protection is still showing "Protected". The datastore I'm attempting to vMotion to and from are both HPE 3Par Solid State. I receive the warning regardless if I keep the VM on the same host and only migrate to a different HPE 3Par Solid State datastore or if I try to migrate to both a different host and different HPE 3Par Solid State datastore.

I've confirmed both hosts have the same naa.xxxxxx identifiers for the datastores, but I only need to migrate from one datastore to another. I don't need to migrate to a different host. That was more of a test to see if there was an issue with that particular host within the same cluster.

Is there anything else I can attempt? I've migrated many VMs in this environment and this is the first time I've experienced the warning.

I'm running ESXi 6.5.

Thank you for your replies.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You can't just ignore the error and migrate the VMs regardless?

jcha7965
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to resolve internally. Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos