VMware Cloud Community
Skumar704
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter plug-in hp insight control and vmdirect path

Hi,

We are going to use HP EVA 4400 with 2 esxi host with having FC connectivity.

As per storage team they need a direct connectivity to EVA to install command view as management server for EVA.

So following is my plan of action.

Will create a vm on one of the host.Install 2008R2.enable passthrough from that particular VM.

Does it needs to enabled from bios of particular server.

I read somewhere that vmdirect path does not support vmotion,FT etc.

Does that  apply to this particular VM only?Or all the vm in the host will loose this particular feature?

I also checked on storage documentation that hp insight control manager plug-in can be used for management of array.Plug-in will be installed on Vcenter server itself.

Can this be the replacement for vmdirect path?Has anyone used it this way?

We also planing to have our vcenter on one of the vm?Can Vcenter server can be deployed on the same VM running vmdirect path for is there any problem doing this.Where should I keep Vcenter files?On local esxi storage or on array?

Regards,

Sushil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Does that  apply to this particular VM only?Or all the vm in the host will loose this particular feature?

Its applicable only for the particular VM. The following document may shed some light on Command view installation in a VM.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/hp-enterprise-virtual-array-family-vsphere-configuration.p...

Its a GUI option to manage storage from VC.

−  Understand what storage features are installed in each array

−  Understand which storage features are being utilized by what hosts / virtual machines

−  Create/Expand/Delete datastores on HP arrays

−  Create a Virtual Machine from a template on HP arrays

However HP EVA 4400 is not supported with HPICM plug in.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVPR

We also planing to have our vcenter on one of the vm?Can Vcenter server can be deployed on the same VM running vmdirect path for is there any problem doing this.

Its not recommended to install VC on the same VM since the VM with vmdirect path IO doesnt support vmotion.

Where should I keep Vcenter files?On local esxi storage or on array?

Its recommended to keep VC vmdk files in a shared storage. It will help to move the VC vm during system mainteannce or failures.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Its applicable only for the particular VM. The following document may shed some light on Command view installation in a VM.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/hp-enterprise-virtual-array-family-vsphere-configuration.p...

Its a GUI option to manage storage from VC.

−  Understand what storage features are installed in each array

−  Understand which storage features are being utilized by what hosts / virtual machines

−  Create/Expand/Delete datastores on HP arrays

−  Create a Virtual Machine from a template on HP arrays

However HP EVA 4400 is not supported with HPICM plug in.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVPR

We also planing to have our vcenter on one of the vm?Can Vcenter server can be deployed on the same VM running vmdirect path for is there any problem doing this.

Its not recommended to install VC on the same VM since the VM with vmdirect path IO doesnt support vmotion.

Where should I keep Vcenter files?On local esxi storage or on array?

Its recommended to keep VC vmdk files in a shared storage. It will help to move the VC vm during system mainteannce or failures.

0 Kudos