VMware Cloud Community
OmniTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSphere and Fiber channel storage

I'm currently looking to buy a fiber channel san (HP P2000 G3), 2 Fabric Switch and 2 DL380G7 servers.

I have only installed iSCSI SAN so far, so I'm pretty new to Fiber Channel storage.

I'm looking for White Papers about VSphere and the P2000 SAN to make sure that it will be installed correctly and optimize!

Is there anything I need to know about HP P2000 and VSPhere configuration?

Is there any documentation existing about that?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, that's something you need to ask HP and/or EMC. Maybe with the next Firmware update the policy recommendation changes.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - it is not specific to the HP P2000 but here is VMware's guide to FC SAN configuration- http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_san_cfg.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
OmniTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know that guide. But I was looking for something more specific to the P2000, something comming from HP.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I know that guide. But I was looking for something more specific to the P2000, something comming from HP.

You might want to read that guide, you said you are new to fiber, so therefore you won't know that Fiber is Fiber. ALL Fiber is the same, same protocol, same setup, and equipment, just different manufacturer. That guide is still good information, even though it's not labeled as HP.

0 Kudos
OmniTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So would you use MRU, Fixed or Round Robin, since the P2000 G3 is an Active/Active SAN?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VMware HCL says VMW_SATP_ALUA - VMW_PSP_MRU

see "Model/Release Details" at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?device_cat=san&device_id=12130

André

0 Kudos
OmniTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just saw it too.

In an EMC document for their own FC SAN, they recommand using RoundRobin.

I wonder what differ between EMC and HP P2000, if both are Active/Active

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, that's something you need to ask HP and/or EMC. Maybe with the next Firmware update the policy recommendation changes.

André

0 Kudos