VMware Cloud Community
Shilton11
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Esxi 6.5 not detecting P420i RAIDED drives

Afternoon all,

Please be gentle if this is a silly question, I am very "Green" to all things VMware and currently still learning.. and will try make this as simple as possible

Hardware:

• HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 (x2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz - 32GB Ram)
  • Smart Array P420i Controller firmware v8.32 (where the issue is)
  • x2 4TB Seagate Ironwolfs RAID 1+0 (just while testing) I have another x4 4TB drives I want to either RAID 5 or 6

Software:

• Client version: 1.33.4
    Client build number: 13786312
    ESXi version: 6.5.0 (VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-Update3-14990892-HPE-preGen9-650.U3.9.6.10.1-Dec2019)
    ESXi build number: 14990892

Issue:

In a nut shell the issue is that when in VShere client it doesnt see my RAID'd hard disks not even as 1 Array.

It DOES see the P420i Raid card in Manage>Hardware

It DOES see the Logical drive when I come to install esxi (install is on a USB internal drive)

All disks are brand new and they were formatted in the HP smart Array BIOS before being made into a RAID array.

My head is battered from googling and reading.. mainly as I dont fully know what I am doing yet as from what I can tell I have the correct drivers from the HPE image, the RAID card is on the latest firmware (also read thats correct and wrong some say needs a lower version)

Any help or a finger in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
UBUTS5
Contributor
Contributor

Good Day,

When upgrading ESXI to 6.5 you have to install a new Smart Array driver please find below the article from HPE and download the driver:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00043167en_us

Best Regards

Radwan Arebi

0 Kudos