VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMDKs that cant be copied, renamed,deleted or used with a VM due to I/O-errors - possible workaround

Hopefully you never have to work with a VM that blocks all operations and reports I/O errors.
Having such a problem on a datastore with activ production-VMs can be a really pain - solving it with ESXi buildin-tools may appear impossible.

In some easy cases using Linux to extract such a vmdk may work - but often that also fails.
If you ever run into a problem like this dont give up to early.
Last weekend I tried a quite obscure procedure to recover a domain-controller VM with one 80gb thick/unfragmented vmdk and another 512gb/85 fragments thick vmdk.
ESXi-tools all reported I/O errors so the customer already expected a complete loss.
But after two days I could present a completely healthy VM that did not even need a checkdisk on first start after the recovery.
It is a bit to early to assume this will work in similar cases - but at least I now have an idea how to handle such a problem.

If you run into a problem like that and run out of options - let me have a look - maybe I can help.

Ulli

0 Kudos
0 Replies