VMware Cloud Community
Famine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMDK is larger than Max Size

I have read the option of changing my block size on the datastore from 1MB to 2 but, I only have 3 virtual machines here with a total storage space and I am not willing to rebuild just yet.

Here is the error.

Create virtual machine 192.168.13.90 File

Intel-OpenSuse/Intel-Ope-Suse.vmdk is larger than

the maximum size supported by datastore Storage1

My datastore is ~135GB and it has ~106 free, I have attached that screen shot. I had this VM up before but, I destroyed it.!file:///C:/Users/rserio/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-36.png!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1MB to 2 but, I only have 3 virtual machines here

Wouldn't matter anyway, 2MB block sizes means files LARGER than 512GB, so if your space is only 135GB you can't create files of that size anyway.

If you are doing an RDM that might make a difference, the block size must be able to handle the size of the RDM mapping, even if the RDM is on a different volume. So if you need a 1TB vmdk you need 4 MB block size, and 2TB is 8 MB block size.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1MB to 2 but, I only have 3 virtual machines here

Wouldn't matter anyway, 2MB block sizes means files LARGER than 512GB, so if your space is only 135GB you can't create files of that size anyway.

If you are doing an RDM that might make a difference, the block size must be able to handle the size of the RDM mapping, even if the RDM is on a different volume. So if you need a 1TB vmdk you need 4 MB block size, and 2TB is 8 MB block size.

0 Kudos
Famine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using an RDM but that is only a 20GB partition.

0 Kudos