VMware Cloud Community
S_Strasser
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK Descriptor gone after VM migration

Hi all!

The storage space on one of the datastores of our ESXi 7.0 U3 server was full, so I needed to migrate one specific VM to another datastore on the same server.

After the migration, the VMDK descriptor was missing and I was unable to start the machine. 
I looked up a method to recreate the file and did it by creating a temp vmdk via vmkfstools. Then I took the necessary steps to rename the VMDK file and point it to the still existing -flat file. vmkfstools -e shows the disk chain as consistent.
I can now find the VMDK again, but when I try to add it to the VM, the provided data for that disk is empty or plain wrong and I can't save the new config. Clicking on save just does nothing.

Unfortunately, the original VMDK is not backupped anywhere.

Is there any way to fix this? Am I missing some info in the VMDK file?

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@S_Strasser,

Assuming you have followed this KB properly: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511

Let me ask you, did you compare the details of your .vmx file to confirm that the SCSI controller and slot are the proper ones? If you can, please attach the .vmx here.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's a known bug in the Web GUI.
Likely the easiest workaround is to open the VM's console using VMRC, which lets you edit the VM's settings.

André

0 Kudos
S_Strasser
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I followed the KB and I double checked the VMX against one that is working on the same host and datastore.

But I completely lucked out. The server was non-critical and the owner gave permission to just completely recreate the VM from scratch.

Thanks for the reply, though!