VMware Cloud Community
whitesj
Contributor
Contributor

VDMK to RDM?

I've seen some information on this before but am unclear.

I have a server that I P2V and I want to take the data drive and make it into an RDM instead of a VMDK...i've tried several 3rd party imaging solutions as an easy fix but none seem to work properly...

There is some command I can run to copy the VMDK into an RDM? (like an RDM done through vmware right?) but I am unsure what the syntex is and how to know where to find all that information (the example I saw had some complex target desitiation)

Any info would be helpful.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Joshua_Mally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use vmkfstools cmd to do the conversion. check this:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/506045#506045

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

-Josh

Trying to learn

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! -Josh Trying to learn 🙂
0 Kudos
whitesj
Contributor
Contributor

Do you run this command on the esx host? is this installed already on them?

0 Kudos
Joshua_Mally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes... its installed on the ESX server

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

-Josh

Trying to learn Smiley Happy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! -Josh Trying to learn 🙂
0 Kudos
srinivasvivek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
CCJNL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also trying to do this with no luck. I was successful previously on ESX3.5 but now I am on vSphere (ESX 4.0) and having no luck.

Command:

vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/SRS-Restore/CCSRS/CCSRS_2.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/Datastore0/CCSRS/SRS_F_rdm.vmdk -d rdm:/vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba33:0:7:0

Error:

Destination disk format: raw disk mapping to '/vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba33:0:7:0'

Cloning disk '/vmfs/volumes/SRS-Restore/CCSRS/CCSRS_2.vmdk'...

Failed to clone disk : The destination file system does not support large files (12).

0 Kudos
CCJNL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found the answer to my own question:

It looks like in vSphere that the device naming convention has changed and if you list the contents of /vmfs/devices/disks you will no longer see any devices like vmhba1:0:4:0. Now in ESX 4.0 you apparently have to use naa naming.

So the rdm has to be references like so:

rdm:/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.6090a018a0b93f924aa964131a0090b1

0 Kudos