VMware Cloud Community
gakecs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VAAI - What Am I Getting... and what am I missing?

So I'm running vSphere 5.5, and my datastores reside on an HP 3PAR 7200, using 10Gb iSCSI. In order to reclaim space on my thinly provisioned volumes, I run "esxcli storage vmfs unmap -l <name>". This seems to free storage to allow me to compact my CPGs and reclaim space from my 3PAR. Looking at vSphere 5.5 STANDARD, which I have... it seems like my license doesn't include VAAI.... so am I running a command on my ESXi hosts that is in reality not doing anything? What exactly do I not get as far as storage integration with only standard licensing, and if I don't get unmap, why does it accept the command... and seem to free space on my Thin provisioned virtual volumes? I'm confused. Also, if I do not receive the ability to send UNMAP as part of my licensing, how am I supposed to reclaim storage?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i think instead of "off-loading" it you're Host Ressources will be used beeing able having the VAAI to get working.

only Point which is explaining it to me.

So would mean at the end that the Performance is better with Enterprise > because of Off-loading all the Commands

But i couldn't guarantee my "Theory" Smiley Wink.. would be good to open a Ticket at vmware and to ask that question Smiley Wink.

Best regards

Max

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi theire,

If i'am right normally  it's included in Compare vSphere Editions: Server Virtualization &amp;amp; Cloud Infrastructure | United States    (Enterprise)

But what do you get on the Datastore through the VI-Client on the "Virtualization Acceleration" Tab?    Supported or Unknown or other?

Problem is that it's also Firmware Dependend on the storage Boxes what VAAI methods are working and which one not.

some working with "ATS-only"  and other ones still needs SCSI lockings.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103366...

have a look also please to

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102197...

for example > on the Vi Client overview  you maybe could see "supported" for VAAI Smiley Wink  > but in the background not every Function is supported.

theirefore  you have to place

"esxcli storage core device vaai status get"

on the esxi.

------------

For example we have CX4  and i saw "supported"  but  the   "Delete Status"  was unsupported.

you should also have a look to the Matrix: (hopefully i got you're correct ISCSI Storage) > this info should be comfirmed by the storage Vendor > so because  all the Info what Vmware is having > they get it from Storage Vendors. (and it could be that the Matrix is not the Latest Status on vmware site) > it's a way to Start with Smiley Wink.

VMware Compatibility Guide: Storage/SAN Search

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
gakecs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It definitely shows supported on all my LUNs. Again, I've got a 3PAR 7200 that has the VAAI "plugin" already integrated into its OS, and all my Virtual Volumes are thin provisioned. The question is... if I have a Standard License, and therefore do not get VAAI, does running the "esxcli storage vmfs unmap -l <name>" command do anything at all? Why does it seem to free my storage if this isn't supported in Standard Edition?

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i think instead of "off-loading" it you're Host Ressources will be used beeing able having the VAAI to get working.

only Point which is explaining it to me.

So would mean at the end that the Performance is better with Enterprise > because of Off-loading all the Commands

But i couldn't guarantee my "Theory" Smiley Wink.. would be good to open a Ticket at vmware and to ask that question Smiley Wink.

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos