VMware Cloud Community
andy2005
Contributor
Contributor

Using older SAN models for an esxi 5.1 laboratory.

Hi, folks !!!

I'm using esxi 5.1 for testing and learning purposes.

Such my Budget is really low, because I 'm not working at a directly related virtualization bussiness (usually this is a main task for increasing my virtualization knowledgements as a hobby and for future employee application references) I can´t reach newer and extremely expensive technology). So I should to resign myself to use older and cheaper technology. No appliances or emulators; I always though real hardware is the best way to learn.

I have 2 alternatives here in Spain (eBay and others):

IBM DS300 San Array

EMC Clariion X2E

In both cases I think HBA cards must be used if FO output channels are used. I will see cards that I going to use

It depends on the type of connection SAN albergs for connection to host servers.

But I´m wondering 2 things:

1) Would I be able to connect HBA cards to SAN without using FO switches (only FO cable from HBA to SAN)? I'm assuming FO switches are necessary for a failover clustering configuration and / or implementing storage area network with two or more disk arrays interconnected devices, but it's not the case. I going to use an unique SAN and no failover platform

2) If SAN are storage devices throught iSCSI and / or other commands, what would be the real obligation for using HCL listed SANs instead of not HCL listed SANs? Probably I'm missing some concepts. What type of problems I going to have if IBM / EMC specific models related upwards are used.

With many thanks to everybody !!!!

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Personally I would just use iscsi or nfs from linux but since you want real hardware here goes

1. You can direct connect to you has for fail over tests you need two has otherwise you are good

2. If iscsi with software initiator you do not have to be on hcl

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos