VMware Cloud Community
qubabos
Contributor
Contributor

Use HPE D3600 storage as shared with two ESXI hosts

Hello there,

I'm not very fluent in this kind of hardware so I need some assitance Smiley Happy I own HP D3600 12Gb SAS Disk Enclosure with two separate I/O moduiles. I want to connect this hardware to two different ESXI 6.5 hosts with HPE Smart Array P441 controllers. Basically this works one one ESXI hosta and I see full disks storage on one of them, but when I try connect this storage to different hosts i get an error with :

conflicts with an existing datastore in the datacenter that has the same URL but is backed by different physical storage.

Vmware support team points me that this storage is presented to ESXI as local disk so I cant use this configuration as shared storage with 2 ESXi hosts. I need to change enclosure or controllers configuration to different one, but because lack of knowledge I dont know how to do this. My config look like this

• one Lenovo x3560 server with HPE P441 connected to port no 1 in HPE D3600 in first I/O module
  • second Fujitsu Primergy S8 server with HPE P441 connected to port no 1 in HPE D3600 in second I/O module

What am I doing wrong or what modification I need to do to achieve the intended effect and discs enclosure functioned as shared space.?

Thank you for your assistance, if any Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think this is going to work the way you want regardless if you change controllers or enclosures. This hardware is DAS and isn't meant to be connected to two different hosts and address the same storage simultaneously. What you need is a SAN and proper shared storage array if you want to present the same LUNs to different hosts.

qubabos
Contributor
Contributor

So this king of hardware can be connected only to one ESXi host? Even if it two I/O modules capable?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Given the fact that that your device doesn't even appear on the storage HCL, yeah I'd say so. It may be best to consult HPE directly but still keeping in mind, it if could work, it may not be supported.

0 Kudos