VMware Cloud Community
sveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to create RDM on NFS share - function not implemented

Hi all,

I have a problem creating a RAW device mapping on a NFS share. Getting an error 'Failed to create virtual disk: Function not implemented (2490377)' when using vmkfstools:

/usr/sbin/vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.60a9800050336d755a5a5a3473355659 /vmfs/volumes/VMDATANFS/eea-cl1-rdm/eeacl1-sbd1.vmdk -a lsilogic

Tried several suggestion in the forums, like starting the creation from withing the right path, but it just does not work.

Environment is a vShere 4.1 new installation that has NFS storage attached on a NetApp FAS 2040. For a virtualised Linux cluster we want/need to create a bundel of RDM disks. When I add a disk in VC to the host (or vSpere client directly connected to the ESX host) and select Raw Device Mappings, then select the exposed LUN, then I need to specify the datastore but only can select 'local' and not the NFS share my VM is running on. The store just does not show up there in the list, neither I can select 'store with Virtual Machine' there (the VM is sitting on the NFS store of course).

For testing I created the NFS name lowercase; does not work

Also created a VMFS volume on the NetApp and attached that to the host trough iSCSI. This volume shows up in the list to store the RDM on when using VC to add a RDM disk to a VM, also I can use command line vmkfstools succesfully this way.

I believe a RDM link should be supported on a NFS share, right?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

You need a LUN or soemthing which can be accessed via SCSI (like iSCSI). NFS is not supported for that function.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40u1/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=server_config/c_limitations_of...

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

You need a LUN or soemthing which can be accessed via SCSI (like iSCSI). NFS is not supported for that function.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40u1/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=server_config/c_limitations_of...

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To add - if you want native access from your VM just load an NFS client to your VM's guest OS-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RDM is not supported on NFS.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
sveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right, thanks thanks that was where I was looking for. This doc indeed shows NFS is not supported for the RDM links. Pretty sure I read somewhere It could be done. Anyway I'll create a small iSCSI shared volume with VMFS and put the RDM links there.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Sebastiaan Veld

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld
0 Kudos