VMware Cloud Community
MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UNMAP, do you fully get it?

Yes, there are quite a lot of blog posts about UNMAP out there. But do you really get it? Me not. What I do now so far is, that It does reclaim space on your VMFS Volumes. So far so good. But here my question.

Why the hell VMware does not provide us the possibility to do this automatic? Yes, I know I can script that one and run it as a scheduled task but this is not solving all my problems. For example, VMware Horizon View. During recomposes, I need to be worried about my Array to get full because quite a lot of VMs are getting deleted and new ones created. Running unmap afterwards could already be too late.

Yes, I know in the past Storage Arrays not always handled unmaps nicely, what maybe was a good reason to go for a non-automatic way to handle this.

But in these days where all Storage vendors go for the Flash Arrays and real-time deduplication leads to a new dimension of overprovisioning/thinprovisioning volumes it’s an absolutely necessary feature, and the fact that it already was implemented in previous version tells me, that it’s absolutely realizable. So why not doing it?

Another “side-question” about unmap:

If I delete a 1 TB VM on a Datastore and afterwards create another VM of 1TB is this VM created on the Blocks of the Old VM? Or will the storage array now say me my I am currently using 2 TB?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies
v1gnesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understood it a lot better after watching a VMworld session on YouTube. It had UNMAP in the video title, so it should be searchable.

I will try to update this post later today with a link to the session.

EDIT: I think this is it. At least these are the slides to the session.

MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately it's a little bit hard to get the sense out of the Slides and I haven't found an answer to my questions. But thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
v1gnesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is, yes. The session was very helpful and the slides don't do justice to the talk.

0 Kudos
v1gnesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's the video:

VMworld.com: VMworld 2013 Sessions & Labs

Look for STO4907.

0 Kudos