VMware Cloud Community
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to use mapped raw lun for new disk, but it's greyed out.

I've got a volume configured on my SAN for my Dataserver host and when I look at the configuration for the host storage adapter (iSCSI SW Adapter) it lists the device, so I know it can see it.

The problem is when I go to the Dataserver VM and try to add a new Hard Disk it will not let me select "Mapped Raw Lun". Have I missed a step in setting up this device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To make sure this RDM file points to the correct LUN, run:

vmkfstools -q /vmfs/volumes/..../DATASERVER_VM1_4.vmdk

Usually you'd delete an RDM disk by selecting "Delete from disk" when you remove it from the VM (This will only delete the .vmdk files and not the data on the LUN itself). However it should work to just delete the two files - the rdmp and the associated descriptor file - from the datastore browser. The datastore browser will only show the name of the desctiptor file.

If you can afford some downtime, power off the VM, re-attach the mapping file and then remove it again by selecting the above mentioned "Delete from disk".

André

PS: No host reboot is needed for this action.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the LUN shows up under Storage Adapters but you are not able to select it as an RDM, then it may already be used as an RDM on another VM or it contains a VMFS datastore. Can you confirm it's a new, raw LUN which does not already contain any partitions? Also try to run a rescan unless you already did.

André

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre,

How do I tell if it's already part of a VMFS volume or not?

There shouldn't be any partitions on this volume, though it's possible something got created in the midst of me trying to figure out this issue as well as the other one you helped me with. If all else fails, I guess I can format this volume again from the SAN interface and start over. I'd rather not though, because it takes a really long time.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How many volumes do you have presented to the host? Can you identify the LUN when running fdisk -lu on the host's console (or partedUtil getptbl <volume> in case of ESXi 5.0)?

Maybe you can find the "trouble maker" using RVTools (http://www.robware.net/)

André

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre,

I have one volume presented to the host. I did have two, but I wasn't using one of them so I removed it. Here is a snapshot of the last portion of the list of disks that displayed after running fdisk -lu.

The last disk you see, the 1 TB disk, is the one I'm trying to add to the VM as an RDM.

fdisk -lu.jpg

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Can you do a print screen of virtual hardware from that particular VM ? I had similar issue, my problem was caused by virtual SCSI adapters which were present in VM configuration but were without disks.

Artur

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm assuming this is what you're asking for, but as you can see the Disk is showing available.

storage adapters.jpg

And just for kicks, this is what I'm still seeing when I try to add a raw disk mapping:

Add RDM grey.jpg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please run

find /vmfs/volumes/ -iname "*-rdm*"

from the command line to find RDM mapping files. Maybe there's an (orphaned!?) mapping file for this LUN.

André

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre,

I think we found it. Just going by the size and when it was created, this looks exactly like the volume that I thought I removed a few days ago.

rdm volume.jpg

So, I'm assuming that I need to get rid of this *rdmp.vmdk file in order to add a new RDM. What's the best way to remove it without causing additional problems?

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre,

Also, whenever I delete it, will I have to restart the host to get it to recognize that the RDM connection is no longer there?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To make sure this RDM file points to the correct LUN, run:

vmkfstools -q /vmfs/volumes/..../DATASERVER_VM1_4.vmdk

Usually you'd delete an RDM disk by selecting "Delete from disk" when you remove it from the VM (This will only delete the .vmdk files and not the data on the LUN itself). However it should work to just delete the two files - the rdmp and the associated descriptor file - from the datastore browser. The datastore browser will only show the name of the desctiptor file.

If you can afford some downtime, power off the VM, re-attach the mapping file and then remove it again by selecting the above mentioned "Delete from disk".

André

PS: No host reboot is needed for this action.

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre.  I may be able to try this later this evening. I'll report back as soon as I'm able.

-Blake

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre',

Had to come back and re-read your last post since I wasn't able to do anything on this for the past few days.

So, what I ended up doing is just deleting those two files from the datastore browser and it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I am not able to point this volume from the SAN back to the ESX Host because it didn't have anything on it when I removed it, so I just removed it from the SAN all together since I wouldn't be using it.

What should I try next?

I still have the volume that I DO want to create an RDM from pointed to this host, but it's still not letting me create it.

Thanks and sorry for the delay.

Blake

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you rescan the storage adapter after deleting the files?

André

0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, because I'm a dumba$$.  :smileylaugh:

That did it. It works now.

Thanks so much Andre.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

May the Force be with you!

André

0 Kudos