VMware Cloud Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Too Many VMDK files

Hello All,

I have a server with an odd issue that i need some assistance with.  This is a security camera server that keeps locking up due to a hard drive issue.  We have a data drive assigned as the F drive and from time to time it will get to a point that the server locks up.  While troubleshooting i find that the F drive cannot be accessed.  The quick fix is for me to just remove that drive and add another one.  Problem now is that there is a Flat file and 4 or fie delta files to a disk that no longer is there. I placed the new drive in another datastore. There is also a VMDK file that has an odd name ...camera-ctk.vmdk.  There is no hard drive with that name.   Can these be removed with no issues or is there a specific way to go about getting rid of them? 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the flat and delta file are not longer needed you can certainly remove them. However, if you are not 100% sure, it might be a good idea to move the files to a new/temporary directory to see whether everything continues to work as expected, and then - at a later time - delete them. The -ctk.vmdk file is file that's used for changed block tracking (CBT),. One of these files exist for each virtual disk where CBT is enabled. You can delete this file if the associated virtual disk doesn't exist anymore.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the flat and delta file are not longer needed you can certainly remove them. However, if you are not 100% sure, it might be a good idea to move the files to a new/temporary directory to see whether everything continues to work as expected, and then - at a later time - delete them. The -ctk.vmdk file is file that's used for changed block tracking (CBT),. One of these files exist for each virtual disk where CBT is enabled. You can delete this file if the associated virtual disk doesn't exist anymore.

André

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  Anytime i need to delete items it makes me a bit nervous so i like to make sure before i do it.  I'm 99% sure those files are NOT needed so I will just delete them.  Thanks Again!!

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos