VMware Cloud Community
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thin Provisioning - at SAN or VMDK layer

Hello

With the option to provision a thin disk using vSphere or at the SAN layer, which option is best? Is it feasible to provision at both the SAN and VMDK levels or could that end up causing confusion. I imagine that SAN thin provisioning would offer better performance too?

Cheers

gogogo5

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HyperViZor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A very detailed information on this subject available on Chad's blog from EMC over here:

Regards,

Hany Michael

HyperViZor.com | Virtualization, and everything around it

Hany Michael
HyperViZor.com | The Deep Core of The Phenomena

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steve_Tron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would always thin provision at the storage layer if possible as the additional load, although small, is placed on the SAN storage processor or array controllers rather than the ESX hosts when handle block allocations.

Regards

Steve

HyperViZor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A very detailed information on this subject available on Chad's blog from EMC over here:

Regards,

Hany Michael

HyperViZor.com | Virtualization, and everything around it

Hany Michael
HyperViZor.com | The Deep Core of The Phenomena
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think either way will work, the important part is how we manage here and you may need to consider the I/O loads on each datastore. Too many virtual machine or virtual disk on same datastore will impact to the performance too. At the same time, you may not want to over provision too much as datastore full will cause virtual machine to be freeze or unrespond.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Great link HyperViZor!

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also just to add something from personal experience in regards to TP... Make sure you align your disks properly, as it plays even more of a role in TP disks vs. thick. Regardless of where the thin resides, if you start growing mis-aligned disks you are going to watch what should be a 1 or 2 IOP into 2 or 4 IOPS... It doesn't matter where it happens, that's bad news for IO

Thomas H. Bryant III

Director, Advanced Technology & Products

Vizioncore, Inc.

VMware Communities User Moderator

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos