VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Targets???

Dear VMware Experts.

Please help me with the Targets, following is the snap of the same.

targets.JPG

i have many LUNS, all those LUNS have same target which is listed above.

Regards

MR VMware.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

They are not the same target. The WWWN is different, and you have T0 and T2. You have 2 controllers, almost sure.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Dear Marcelo,

Many thanks for the reply.

See over i have 2 snapshot and i m taklikng about "Targets" which i have marked with red

targets.JPG

in the above snap same target i.e T2 but the second colum i.e Target contains two different number, now see the 2nd snapshot

targets2.jpg

Over here two different targets i.e t0, t2 but the second column again contains two different number each, but these numbers are identical to the 1st snap.

Please help me what does this Target means, which i have marked with Red.

regards

Mr Vmware

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

A target is a SCSI term that has somewhat varied meaning depending ont he device in use, but USUALLY can be thought of as a controller.  E.g., you can have a single LUN visible through 2 controllers (targets).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Targets are the storage controllers on your storage side (where you connect the fiber channel or ethernet cables on the storage box). If you have 2 of them, your configuration is good. Can't see anything wrong.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

MrVmware9423 wrote:

See over i have 2 snapshot and i m taklikng about "Targets" which i have marked with red

19999_19999.JPGtargets.JPG

in the above snap same target i.e T2 but the second colum i.e Target contains two different number, now see the 2nd snapshot

20003_20003.jpgtargets2.jpg

The difference between LUN1 and LUN8 is that you could reach LUN1 through two controllers (T0 and T2) on the SAN side, but the LUN 8 is only presented through one controller - T2.

You have still two paths to this LUN 8, but this comes from your two Fiber Channel HBA adapters, vmhba2 and vmhba3. This could mean that you have no SAN controller fault tolerance on LUN 8.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Uh, that's true, I was focuesd on the WWWN and didn't saw the T2 repeated. Sorry about that. Thanks rickardnobel.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos