VMware Cloud Community
revolutionj
Contributor
Contributor

Symantec LiveUpdate causes high storage I/O latency

I have a Dell T620 server that is running a RAID-10 array with VMWare ESXi 5.0 and hosting four virtual machines including one for Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager that manages ~50 endpoints.  I've noticed that whenever the SEPM runs LiveUpdate to retrieve the current definitions I will get a warning in vSphere very close to the same time it runs that states the following:

Capture.JPG

I have already changed the SEPM policy settings so the endpoints will check in with SEPM every 6 hours and if new policies are available it will schedule the download within 3 hours for randomization, that way all 50 endpoints aren't trying to download at the same time.  This reduced the frequency of the warnings but I am still getting one or two of them roughly every 3-5 days.  Should I possibly increase this time?

No impact on performance has been noticed by this so it doesn't seem to be affecting much but I would still like to know if there is a way to permanently get these warnings to stop since they shouldn't be happening.  What I can't figure out is if this issue is caused by the SEPM virtual machine or if this is a problem with VMWare ESXi 5.  Any information on this would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
0 Replies