VMware Cloud Community
BTR2001
Contributor
Contributor

Switch SAS with vSphere?

I have a few entry-level shared storage questions that I've been researching for a while.  Before I order the hardware, I want to make sure I'm not missing something basic (which is very possible!)  Obviously I'm new to shared storage and I just want to get a basic configuration that will work with vSphere.

I have two VM Hosts (ESX 5.0 on Dell 1950s) and I want to connect to a disk array (Aberdeen XDAS D-Series) that has two 6Gb/s SAS ports (Ch0 and Ch1)

I have SAS HBA cards in the Dell 1950s.

To do it right and allow for some expansion (i.e. a few more servers and disk arrays) I think I need a SAS Switch (LSI SAS6160).  Will vSphere work just fine like this?  I.e. using switched SAS and the hardware above?

Note that I did find this: http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/04/does-vmware-support-sharedswitched-sas.html which suggests everything should work but I'd hate to buy the LSI SAS6160 if there's something I'm missing. 

A more basic question.  If I were to stay at just the two host servers and the one disk array, would vSphere work if I just connect the two servers directly to the two 6Gb/s SAS ports on the disk array?  Or will I have LUN/Channel issues.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A more basic question.  If I were to stay at just the two host servers and the one disk array, would vSphere work if I just connect the two servers directly to the two 6Gb/s SAS ports on the disk array?  Or will I have LUN/Channel issues.

I've not worked with your particular storage array before, but what you describe is something I've done with MSA storage over SAS for a long time. It worked fine for me (MSA 50s and 70s). So, very possible indeed.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators