VMware Cloud Community
perfectserveinc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Strorage vMotion to non-shared VMFS

Is it possible to migrate a VM that is located on a non-shared VMFS volume(such as the local disk) to another ESX server's non-shared VMFS volume?

FYI, i know there are 3rd party products that "iscsi enable" local storage to accomplish this, but I want to know if this has been addressed in version 4.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

No, you'll be able to migrate between the current local storage VM(s) to say NFS, iSCSI/FC datastore but you will not be able to migrate to another ESX(i) local datastore. If you have shared storage, then you can migrate to the shared storage first and then from shared storage to the other ESX(i) local storage or use something like VMware Converter or manually copying the files out to the host.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

No, you'll be able to migrate between the current local storage VM(s) to say NFS, iSCSI/FC datastore but you will not be able to migrate to another ESX(i) local datastore. If you have shared storage, then you can migrate to the shared storage first and then from shared storage to the other ESX(i) local storage or use something like VMware Converter or manually copying the files out to the host.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for sVmotion to work the source must be able to see the destination. During the migration the VM's disk will reside on both sources (source and destination) LUN only moving to destination when the migration is near completion.

Your best bet would be to shutdown the VM and do a cold migration to the new datastore.

0 Kudos