Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vMotion vs LUN resize

vSphere 6.7 (storage vMotion set to manual)

I inherited an environment where all the LUNs (NetApp SAN) were sized at 6TB.

The environment is growing, at least a few (2-5 of 100) VMs are constantly growing and I find myself resizing their (usually Windows Server 2012 R2) disks twice a year.

I have a few VMs that are 4TB, so I'm starting to get storage warnings on a few datastores.

I've done a few storage vMotions on smaller VMs and the performance seems pretty terrible: some of my applications actually react to the SAN latency.  Sigh...

I guess the answer is obvious?  Do I:

1. Create a few bigger LUNs (10TB) and move those bigger VMs to it?

2. Just resize my existing LUNs to 10TB, and then I don't need to move any disks?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Hi marcoshaw​ hope you are doing fine

I would go with option 1 since there is less risk involved.
Are you using thin provisioned disks?

Warm regards

If you found this helpful, please consider marking this as correct and giving some kudos.

Warm regards
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Most of my disks are thick, but this is how I inherited things.

I'm not sure about #1...  When I do a svMotion, my applications are impacted and moving such a large VM could take a few hours and cause some applications issues.

I think I've determined that when my SAN has more than 5k write IOPS, the SP/CPU is almost at 100%.  This seems to cause latency accessing the disks, thus my applications begin to react negatively.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Even when you do a single storage vmotion?
All apps are impacted?

Can you tell me about your storage infrastructure?
have you ran esxtop and checked storage and HBA usage?

If you found this helpful, please consider marking this as correct and giving some kudos.

Warm regards
0 Kudos