Storage upgrade - need feedback on proposed Promise VTrak E310 solution

Our current environment:

2 x Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers with 16GB RAM

running VMware ESX 3.5 and vMotion

2 x HP ProCurve switches

and then 1Gb/sec iSCSI to:

1 x EMC Clariion SAN with

11 x 500GB 7200rpm SATA drives

We have about a dozen guest servers running, including our Exchange server. Tried putting a new SQL database on (for a new application) and performance was awful. We know that the SAN is just not up to it. Hence desire for an upgrade.

For the moment, the new SQL database application has been moved off to its own physical server.

Upgrade proposed:

-- keep the Dell PowerEdge 2950's but increase to 32GB RAM each

-- new Promise VTrack E310 loaded with:

-

a bunch of 15,000rpm 300GB SAS drives for guests which need maximum performance (Exchange, SQL)

-

a bunch of 7,200rpm 2TB SATA drives for all the other guests (DCs, IIS, file servers, etc)

I'm not quite sure about the Promise E310, as we've been quoted on the E310s series ('s' means ???), but the VMware hardware compatibility list only mentions the Promise E310f series ('f' means Fibre Channel?).

I'm told that the E310s will give us up to 4 x 3Gg of throughput, which should therefore resolve our current performance issues with our 1Gb/sec iSCSI setup. I'm also told there we can later add Promise VTrack J-Class storage modules if we need to increase our storage.

So ... just wondering whether anyone else here has any experience with the Promise range of SANs and whether they're any good ... and also whether the VMware hardware compatibility list is right up-to-date and whether I should be concerned that the specific E310s is not listed (even though the E310f is listed).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FrostyatCBM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well after about a month of to-ing and fro-ing, I have my solution put together. We are going to buy 3 new Dell R710s loaded with 48GB RAM and connect these using shared DAS to a Dell MD3200 (4x4x6Gb/sec dual controller, loaded with 12x450GB 15000rpm SAS) and a Dell MD1200 JBOD (loaded with 12x2TB 7200rpm disks). The old Dell 2950's and my old SAN will be retired to DR duties (cold storage). Am just waiting for Dell's written advice that the MD3200 will be supported on VMware (the MD3000 is, and the MD3200 is the updated model with much higher specs). Unfortunately Promise were not able to provide that same level of certainty about VMware ESX support.

0 Kudos