VMware Cloud Community
schobbepezzer
Contributor
Contributor

Storage considerations: NetApp FAS 2020

Hi,

I'm in charge of a medium size vSphere environment and I'm considering to add additional storage space for new projects arriving in Q2.

Some facts:

- 6 Dell-Hosts (4 x PE8650, 2 x R900), members of two HA/DRS-clusters with 320 GB of RAM and 64 Cores, running 185 VMs

- mixed workloads (Oracle Databases, Web- / Applicationservers, 75% unix / 25% windows)

- attached to a EMC CX300-Array w. 6 TB usable capacity via FC (5 RaidGroups w. 5-6 15k fc-hdds using raid-5)

By now, we did not experience any storage-related performance issues, but the Storage Processor Utilization already peaks to 60-70%, so I don't think adding a 3rd enclosure is an option - plus the CX300 is a a bit "outdated"...

As always, we do have a pretty small budget so I had a look at the NetApp FAS2020.

Does anyone have experiences with the FAS2020's performance related to the CX300?

I expect more VMs with oracle database workloads in the future, so I wonder if the smallest NetApp is sufficient.

Thanks for your comments.

Nico

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't really comment on FAS2020 performance since we're using them only for secondary site storage (offsite backup and disaster recovery) but if I recall correctly from our talks with Netapp, the 2020 won't be able to run OnTAP 8 which might be useful in the future.

===

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

schobbepezzer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input, dnetz.

So, what's your primary storage?

What were your considerations that made the FAS2020 to be "second choice"?

Nico

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Primary storage is FAS2040. I wasn't directly involved in the decision process, but I imagine that the 2020 has a good price/performance ratio and still easy to expand with more disk shelves. We also wanted a secondary storage that could handle running a big enough part of our infrastructure to keep basic services up during a disaster recovery scenario.

Netapp knows how to charge for their more advanced features so it's worth the effort to examine all the technical details before purchase.

===

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos