VMware Cloud Community
CoryStuart
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Recommendations

I have 1 server (Sun X4140) running ESX. It's connected via SCSI to a disk tray (Sun J4200). It has 8 TB of usable space. Besides connecting the tray to a different server, exporting via NFS, and mounting an NFS datastore on my ESX server, do I have any options that don't consist of breaking up that array? It doesn't seem that the server supports IOMMU, so I can't just do pci passthrough. It seems that I'm really stuck with having to use an extra box as an nfs server, but I really don't want to.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
joshuatownsend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could use a virtual storage appliance (VSA) to share the DAS out as NFS or iSCSI. The HP-LeftHand VSA would be a good place to start.... You'll take a performance hit, but you have shared storage.... You could do the same with OpenFiler or FreeNAS - your milage will vary.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Please visit for News, Views and Virtualization How-To's

Follow me on Twitter - @joshuatownsend

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Please visit http://vmtoday.com for News, Views and Virtualization How-To's Follow me on Twitter - @joshuatownsend
0 Kudos