VMware Cloud Community
UTyankeefanatic
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Question

Is there   a stable storage software at a good price point that is VMware 5.0 certified   and preferably other than MS?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Note: This discussion was moved from Backup & Recovery to the VMware vSphere™ Storage community.

Check the HCL for all of the available supported options. The Iomega options are a cheap approach. If you want unsupported but stable, I tend to just use CentOS and make my own.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is the actual requirement?

Do you need availabillity, replication, etc?

0 Kudos
UTyankeefanatic
Contributor
Contributor

I was   referring to a storage software product that is cost effective, VMware   certified, reliable, and preferably runs on Linux because Linux is the most   stable OS. Suggestions?
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are any number of applications such as Openfiler that can be used in low budget of lab scenarios that would be perfect for most of your requirements. However.

UTyankeefanatic wrote:

I VMware   certified, reliable,

Those requirements suggest a production environment, and based on this, I would recommend not looking at any "software" solution at all, but a hardware one.

0 Kudos
SantiniStorMagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

You may want to look at StorMagic SvSAN, Vmware 4.5 & 5.0 certified and is fully integrated into VMware's vCenter.

SvSAN is feature rich and offers great flexibility and scalability for a very resonable price.

Checkout our website www.stormagic.com, I have also attached the SvSAN product brief.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Although not Linux, check out Nexenta.  Built on top of Solaris, which many would argue (including myself) has a better availabiluty history than Linux.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos