VMware Cloud Community
JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage DRS - Storage pools

I've been wondering about a question; if I do NOT have storage DRS (Enterprise licenses, not Enterprise +) then would it even have any value to set up storage pools (Datastore Cluster)?  Most of the documentation about DataStore Clusters is all about Storage DRS, but if I don't have that, then what's the advantage?

Small environment; 8 hosts, 70 guests.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

True, Ent+ is needed for the automatic migration of the VMDK disks, but you can still use maintenance mode on a datastore and kick off the storage migrations. Also, there is still the initial placement feature of a datastore cluster that still operates without SDRS, which is quite handy.

But, you are correct that most of the magic of a datastore cluster is coupled to also having Storage DRS. I hope this answers your question.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe the maintenance mode feature is still handy, as the VMDKs on the datastore would be migrated to another datastore in the cluster via Storage vMotion.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chris, thanks for the input. Don't I need Storage DRS licenses to even use the Datastore Maintenance Mode?  I thought you did, and I don't have Enterprise +, just plain Enterprise.

JL

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

True, Ent+ is needed for the automatic migration of the VMDK disks, but you can still use maintenance mode on a datastore and kick off the storage migrations. Also, there is still the initial placement feature of a datastore cluster that still operates without SDRS, which is quite handy.

But, you are correct that most of the magic of a datastore cluster is coupled to also having Storage DRS. I hope this answers your question.

0 Kudos
JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chris;

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I think you've helped me decide to go ahead and set it up. I guess now's the time, since this is a new environment.

JL

0 Kudos