VMware Cloud Community
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Storage Array - Performance Knee

Good morning.  We're an SMB-sized governmental entity (10 hosts and <100 VMs) and we're finalizing a list of storage solutions (EMC VNX, HDS HUS, NetApp FAS, Tegile HA21xx and X-IO ISE-2) to replace our aging HP EVA6100s and I've been hearing some rumblings about certain vendors having a "performance knee" that when they've reached a certain capacity, the performance of the array drops precipitously.  I wanted to know if any of you experienced anything like this in your environments or whether it might just be a perfect storm of events (undersized/overcommited array, VDI, etc.)?  Thank you in advance for your response.

Scott

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TedH256
Expert
Expert

The idea is rather silly I think. Each configured array has it's particular capabilities - if the solution is properly designed then you will not experience anything like this. If you choose an array which initially does not offer capabilites that meet your workload requirements - well, then you get what you pay for, right?

BTW - you may profit from looking at the newest HP/3PAr small-mid size offerings, which are price competitive with the VNX series but have something of a per advantage - it is the natural EVA migration route. (no, I don't work for HP)

sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know, it sounded like FUD to me too, but thought I would sound out the community on this one.  We are looking at the 3PAR 7400 too, but their pricing doesn't seem to be that competitive with the other vendors; it looks to be about twice as much.  Now if I got 4 times the IOPS and capacity, that might not be hard to sell to management.  Thanks.

Scott

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Every array has engineering tradeoffs - some have improved throughput for certain activities at the downside to others.  Its all very workload dependent.

In terms of a performance 'knee' around capacity utilization, you are likely referring to a charge thats often levelled at NetApp and WAFL.  NetApp will claim it doesn't exist.  Every competitor will claim it does.  The truth is likely somewhere in between.  Some people might have hit one, some might not have.

All the arrays on your (with the possible exception of the XIO system) are very strong systems, and, if designed right, can meet your needs.

Don't believe the FUD throwing.

(disclaimer: i work for emc, so obviously a competitor to netapp).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

3PAR is rarely price competitive to VNX (I say this as a former 3PAR SE and current EMC employee).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the response Matt.  I was hearing that most vendors have a performance knee with NetApp called out in particular and while I didn't know if this was something peculiar to WAFL or maybe some version of ONTAP, I thought I would throw it out there.  I also appreciate the honesty about the EMC affiliation.  Good luck with the new venture.

Scott

0 Kudos