I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.
Short facts about our system:
- NetApp AFF220 IP-Metrocluster (ONTAP 9.6 P3)
- VMware ESXi 6.7 U3
- Thin provisioned LUNs with space allocation disabled
- Space reclaim is not working properly
How the issue gets visible:
- When I use storage vmotion to migrate a machine with approx 50% unique data from A to B, no space is getting free on the source volume
How I can work around this problem:
- Enable space allocation on this LUN, then suddenly the space will get reclaimed
Why this is weird:
- We never created our LUNs other than as recommended by NetApp. Plus we need space allocation as a protection function if the LUN runs out of space.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Best regards and thanks
Moderator: Moved to vSphere Storage
Thank you for your reply!
That's exactly it, it's disabled everywhere but the space is not being reclaimed.
Due to us running into an emergency, we had to enable space allocation on one LUN, then space was getting freed up. On the other LUNs we still have the same problem: Unmapping is not working.
Sorry that was a typo, it needs to be turned on not off, look at
"If your host supports SCSI thin provisioning, you can enable the space-allocation option in ONTAP to turn on automatic host-side space management."