VMware Cloud Community
aheigold_recaro
Contributor
Contributor

Space allocation on NetApp LUN

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Short facts about our system:

- NetApp AFF220 IP-Metrocluster (ONTAP 9.6 P3)

- VMware ESXi 6.7 U3

- Thin provisioned LUNs with space allocation disabled

Problem is:

- Space reclaim is not working properly

How the issue gets visible:

- When I use storage vmotion to migrate a machine with approx 50% unique data from A to B, no space is getting free on the source volume

How I can work around this problem:

- Enable space allocation on this LUN, then suddenly the space will get reclaimed

Why this is weird:

- We never created our LUNs other than as recommended by NetApp. Plus we need space allocation as a protection function if the LUN runs out of space.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Best regards and thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Storage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

space allocation needs to be turned of for iscsi unmap to work, so if its not on the space doesn't get reclaimed.

0 Kudos
aheigold_recaro
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply!

That's exactly it, it's disabled everywhere but the space is not being reclaimed.

Due to us running into an emergency, we had to enable space allocation on one LUN, then space was getting freed up. On the other LUNs we still have the same problem: Unmapping is not working.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry that was a typo, it needs to be turned on not off, look at

ONTAP 9 Documentation Center

"If your host supports SCSI thin provisioning, you can enable the space-allocation option in ONTAP to turn on automatic host-side space management."

0 Kudos