VMware Cloud Community
jdickerson
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot has resulted in multiple virtual disks

Hi

I have two virtual machines that now have multiple virtual disks after I took a snapshot of each and then removed the snapshot. I have attempted disk consolidation (vSphere reported that disk consolidation was needed and the process succeeded) on one of these virtual machines (unsvmnav02 as shown below) but this did not resolve the issue. How can I get back to the one original virtual disk? I am providing screenshots of each virtual disk for both virtual machines below.

nav02-pic1.PNG

nav02-pic2.PNG

nav02-pic3.PNG

vpc-pic1.PNG

vpc-pic2.PNG

vpc-pic3.PNG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The three disks in your VMs are definitely not related to snapshots. These are separate virtual disks which should show up in the guest OS.

Snapshots show up as in "unsvmnav01", where you can see them with "...-000001.vmdk" file names.

André

krish290785
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

unsvmnav02 seems to be pretty much ok and doesn't require any additional work on it. The other VM unsvmvpc01 is running with only one snapshot. If the snapshot is not required, you may delete the snapshot from the snapshot manager.

In case if the snapshot cannot be deleted from the vSphere Client, I recommend you to create a new snapshot and delete immediately from the SSH. Below commands might be handy.

vim-cmd vmsvc/snapshot.create VM_ID Snapshot_Name

vim-cmd vmsvc/snapshot.removeall VM_ID

-Bala Krishna Gali If the above info is useful, please mark answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos