VMware Cloud Community
edv2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Space?

Hello All!

I have Vsphere installed and have come across something that is concerning. In the "Storage Views" of my Cluster, I have 0.00B of Snapshot space..... Is this indicating I have no space to handle snapshots or is this telling me I am not using any space for snapshots? To me it appears this means how much space is available for snapshots.....

If this is the case and I have no space available for snapshots, can someone give me a good idea of how much snapshot space one should have available? I am looking for general rules of thumb here like 20% of your needed space or something like that.... We have not been using snapshots yet because this is a test environment but I want to make sure I get this configuration right for the real deal.

Thanks for any help / guidance someone can give me on this...

Thanks!

Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe it is the amount of space consumed by snapshots on that volume, one does not need to explicitly reserve space for snapshots, it uses available space on the volume.

If you run out of space on the volume and a snapshot need to grow...well Bad Things (TM) can happen.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe it is the amount of space consumed by snapshots on that volume, one does not need to explicitly reserve space for snapshots, it uses available space on the volume.

If you run out of space on the volume and a snapshot need to grow...well Bad Things (TM) can happen.

0 Kudos
edv2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yup you are right..... The amount of space consumed on the volume not how much is available for... Thanks for the help! I just ran a snapshot of a test box and saw the space increase under the Snapshot Space category for that VM. Thanks again......

Ed

0 Kudos