VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sizing recommendations for 150TB san

We are in the early stages of planning the consolidation of several ESX clusters to new larger cluster, and consolidating the Sans associated with each.

Our new San to replace all our others is 150TB compellent.

We have typically created 1-1.5 TB Luns for ESX and paired them up,,,ie a ProdVM01 Lun would be paired up with a much smaller ProdSwap01 Lun so our snaps and replications doesnt get impacted by guest swap io. We also create Separate Orcale luns and appliance Luns, and of couse Dev classes--ie DevVM01

Of course this method blows by the 255 Lun limit, and the only I think I can continue on this is to not directly match the Swap luns. I may be needlessly worrying, but if we say get 20vm's per Lun, right now that is paired to a Swap where the 20vms have their local paging directed. If I use say 1 Swap lun for 5x1tb vm Luns, I could maybe have 100vms with their local paging at 1 lun. That concerns me. But I would like to continue this granual lun assignment, so I can configure different class of services for production and development in terms of Raid level and Tier storage.

I would welcome any input.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Have you thought about using the local drives for swap?

Regards,

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We rather not use local drives for swap. I had read some people do that, we just rather not. Thanks for the input though!

0 Kudos
ChandanNuckched
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, sorry I should have mentioned that you also need to use LeftHand or

similar if you are worried about DRS and HA.

0 Kudos