VMware Cloud Community
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Script to select path to ISCSI target based on target name

Hello.

I would like to set the best path for the ISCSI datastores based on the path name. We have an active-active SAN setup, with one 10gig path to each SAN, with 1gig backup (4 paths total, 2 x 10gig + 2 x 1gig).

If a script could set the active path based on the name, we could maybe change this on all hosts and all LUNs with a single script.

We would like to match the string "192.168.250.25:3260" for the paths, or even better to match "192.168.250.??:3260" and randomly select one of the two 10gig paths.

Any advice? I cannot find any example scripts, only scripts to set the policy to RR etc.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vfk
Expert
Expert

I would not use the two 1gig in the configuration, it just makes things complicated and leads to potential problems.  The two 10gig should give redundancy and bandwidth.  iSCSI protocol by design is capable of MPIO, just configure iSCSI MPIO, make sure your two 10gig are connected to different switches for redundancy and you have pretty solid design.

Here is the iscsi best practises. http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/iSCSI_design_deploy.pdf

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos