VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL VM Memory

My SQL VM memory always running high despite it has 8GB assigned to it, and plenty of memroy available on host as well... Is there any kind of tuning needs to be done at SQL/VM level to avoid high memory usage alert on that VM? it is kind of annoying to receive 100 alert msgs about memory on the SQL VM. thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You can add an alarm just for this VM triggering the host memory utilization o 99% on yellow and 100% on red. This will avoid the use of the global memory alarm.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Have you configured Min and Max memory values for your SQL app? Do you see the same behaviour if you uninstall memory controller driver from tools?

For me setting min and max memory for sql app worked.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how do you configure Min and Max memory values for SQL app?

0 Kudos
DPike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can adjust how much RAM SQL is allowed to cache. SQL likes to cache everything it can even if it doesnt use it at the time. This is what triggers those alerts most of the time.

Dustin Pike

VMware Certified Professional (VI3 & vSphere)

Virtual Blocks Blog

_________________ Dustin Pike VMware Certified Professional (VI3 & vSphere) Virtual Blocks Blog
0 Kudos
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Same problem happen on my network. our SQL Admin configure AWE in sql then its working properly .

you need to configure AWE for MS SQL

Regards

Senthil Kumar D

Regards Senthil Kumar D
0 Kudos