VMware Cloud Community
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

SDRS and Auto-placement of VMDK

So in my environment there is a desire to have separate datastores for system disks and data disks, meaning most VMs are split across one or more datastores.  Right now, this is manual.

Now I'm having a brainfart on this one.  Is there a way for me to tag the disks in the VM to be either System or Data (custom tags) and then use SDRS in a Datastore Cluster to manage this?  Basically, we drop in a VM, and SRDS will move disks tagged as Data to the datastores tagged Data, and vice versa for system, and if I add a new datastore to the cluster and tag it Data then only VMDKs tagged Data will be balanced over?

I remember doing this via a PowerCLI script, and can do it again (new job), but was thinking it would be better if we could do this via built in vSphere mechanisms.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Yeah, read through those, but from what I'm getting is initial placement will follow the rules, otherwise all it does is tell you if the VMs are compliant, not actually enforce compliance, or am I misunderstanding it?  I seem to remember that being possible because I thought it was one less script to maintain.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

I re-reviewed all the material and it still seems to me that there is no on-going automatic remediation of the non-compliant disks to the storage policy.

0 Kudos