VMware Cloud Community
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SANsymphony-V DataCore with ESXi vSphere 4.1 running iSCSI

I've looked all over and came up short on my problem, if it is a problem?  In the past I've always connected any ESX / ESXi host via Fibar and now I'm working more with iSCSI.  I'm still trying to get a handle on it.  It's one thing to read about iSCSI and it another setting it up.  OK, now that I got that off my chest here is my question.

Should both iSCSI connections in SANsymphony-V show ready if I have both connected?

Here is a high level run down of the enviroment.

1. A single DataCore node

2. A single ESXi host

3. Both with dual iSCSI ports

4. On the DataCore node only one port shows ready

5. On the ESXi host both connections show connected

Screen shot 2011-06-24 at 9.30.34 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-06-24 at 9.36.54 AM.png

Please help

Will Johnson VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere 5
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

To answer you question: It will say connected when a host "iSCSI init IQN" is logged in, just because it says dis-connected does not necessarily mean that the "Network" is down...More that the host/s are not, can not logged in. (Or none have been configured).

More info on your setup will help, however check over the info / recommendations below (Simple config)

1. You have set the "Port Type" for both iSCSI ports on the DataCore Server to "FE" "Front End"?

2. You have set two separate IP addresses for the iSCSI ports on the DataCore iSCSI ports?

3. For simplicity on the ESX host you have two separate vSwitches for iSCSI with one NIC in each with a configured vmKernel with correct IP's to talk to the DataCore "Target ports"

So confirm you can Ping the interfaces to each other..... now connect login to the DataCore Target ports

If you are using software iSCSI Init, enable it on the ESX host.....then you will need to "Discover" the "target ports" (static or Dynamic)

Once you add the two DataCore Target Port IP's make sure you "Login" to them from the ESX Host. (BOTH!!)

If that worked, now you can register the ESX "Host" in SANsymphony-V interface and assign the "iSCSI Initiator" (from the ESX host) to it. (There will only be One for Software iSCSI...

Now remember, there is only one initiator with Software iSCSI, the important thing is to make sure the this initiator is logged into BOTH DataCore Target ports.....Check the SANsymphony-V "Remote Ports" tab on each "Target port" for the IQN of the ESX host.

NOTE: DataCore Servers do not support multiple sessions from the same IQN from a vSphere Host to a single DataCore iSCSI Target

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Also, please see best practice information from DataCore regarding your NIC settings on the DataCore Server.

iSCSI traffic should be strictly separated from the public (user) network.
Use separate hardware (LAN switches) for iSCSI storage traffic or at least different virtual LANs (VLANs).
Use separate NICs for iSCSI and for inter-storage server and management communication.
Deactivate every other protocol or service except for "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" on NICs used for iSCSI. See help guide for detailed instructions.
Port 3260 needs to be open on the firewall to allow iSCSI traffic.
On DataCore Storage Servers as well as Application Servers/Hosts disable these settings as they can cause disconnects and performance problems:
disable AutoTuning on W2K8: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
disable RSS: netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
disable TOE: netsh int tcp set global chimney = disabled

Let us know how you go and maybe provide a little more follow up info..

best regards

Bernie.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

To answer you question: It will say connected when a host "iSCSI init IQN" is logged in, just because it says dis-connected does not necessarily mean that the "Network" is down...More that the host/s are not, can not logged in. (Or none have been configured).

More info on your setup will help, however check over the info / recommendations below (Simple config)

1. You have set the "Port Type" for both iSCSI ports on the DataCore Server to "FE" "Front End"?

2. You have set two separate IP addresses for the iSCSI ports on the DataCore iSCSI ports?

3. For simplicity on the ESX host you have two separate vSwitches for iSCSI with one NIC in each with a configured vmKernel with correct IP's to talk to the DataCore "Target ports"

So confirm you can Ping the interfaces to each other..... now connect login to the DataCore Target ports

If you are using software iSCSI Init, enable it on the ESX host.....then you will need to "Discover" the "target ports" (static or Dynamic)

Once you add the two DataCore Target Port IP's make sure you "Login" to them from the ESX Host. (BOTH!!)

If that worked, now you can register the ESX "Host" in SANsymphony-V interface and assign the "iSCSI Initiator" (from the ESX host) to it. (There will only be One for Software iSCSI...

Now remember, there is only one initiator with Software iSCSI, the important thing is to make sure the this initiator is logged into BOTH DataCore Target ports.....Check the SANsymphony-V "Remote Ports" tab on each "Target port" for the IQN of the ESX host.

NOTE: DataCore Servers do not support multiple sessions from the same IQN from a vSphere Host to a single DataCore iSCSI Target

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Also, please see best practice information from DataCore regarding your NIC settings on the DataCore Server.

iSCSI traffic should be strictly separated from the public (user) network.
Use separate hardware (LAN switches) for iSCSI storage traffic or at least different virtual LANs (VLANs).
Use separate NICs for iSCSI and for inter-storage server and management communication.
Deactivate every other protocol or service except for "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" on NICs used for iSCSI. See help guide for detailed instructions.
Port 3260 needs to be open on the firewall to allow iSCSI traffic.
On DataCore Storage Servers as well as Application Servers/Hosts disable these settings as they can cause disconnects and performance problems:
disable AutoTuning on W2K8: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
disable RSS: netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
disable TOE: netsh int tcp set global chimney = disabled

Let us know how you go and maybe provide a little more follow up info..

best regards

Bernie.

0 Kudos
johnswb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Berniebgf,

Thank you for replying.  Great info and that helps a lot.  Another question: If I want to have the two nic in the same vSwitch will this not give me more IO to the DataCore node?  I have seperate 10GbE adaptors for iSCSI in both the DataCore node and the ESXi host.  Where I'm a little lost is when connecting both to the same vSwitch and do I have to bind the the second connection?

Here is are some screenshots from my config

Screen shot 2011-06-27 at 8.43.27 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-27 at 8.42.53 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-27 at 8.44.13 AM.png

Will Johnson VCP on VI3 / VI4 vSphere 5
0 Kudos
Berniebgf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi John,

The Main issue is as follows..

DataCore Servers do not support multiple sessions from the same IQN from a vSphere Host to a single DataCore iSCSI Target

What does this mean?

You can not have the single Software Init IQN logging in multiple times (E.G: single vmkernel with mutiple NIC's in a single vSwitch) from the ESX host to a single DataCore Target Port. Which is exactly what you are trying to do. DataCore will simply not allow the init to login.

Anyway, you will not get anymore throughput, simply more channels to the same target ports.

The easiest (and supported) configuration is to setup is for totally seperate channels to the DataCore server. (Example)

vSwitch iSCSI 1 (1 x 10Gb Nic Port) --> vmKernel - 192.168.0.1   ----10Gb----> DataCore Target Port 192.168.0.10

vSwitch iSCSI 2 (1 x 10Gb Nic Port) --> vmKernel - 192.168.0.2   ----10Gb----> DataCore Target Port 192.168.0.20

I like the K.I.S.S approach....

Note: I find this just as easy as having multiple vmkernal ports in the one vSwitch with multiple NIC's with static binding configured...

If you have two DataCore SANsymphony-V Servers in HA...your configuration would be Quad pathed with failover just like a dual head array. (Except 2 x DataCore servers.).

regards

Bernie.,