VMware Cloud Community
obstmassey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SAN Alternatives in the $10,000 ($10k) price range

Hello!

We are putting together a basic server consolidation solution: consolidating a half-dozen file and utility servers and a single small database server for abou 25 office users. To start with, we are looking at two or three host servers and a storage array. In the future, however, we would like to evaluate desktop virtualization for these users, and if possible we would like to be able to use the same SAN with, say, 6 host servers to handle this.

We do not need much in the way of space or IOPS: Currently, the servers have less than 300GB of space, and no performance complaints even with their current 6+-year-old servers. We do, however, want something that is drop-dead reliable.

The problem we are having is that there seems to be a big gap betwen the low end NAS appliances and the entry level SAN arrays. For example, you can find lots of iSCSI NAS appliances in the $2000 range (e.g. Iomega ix4-200d or QNAP TS-459) but they tend to be low performance (4 x SATA drives with 2 x GbE) and from personal experience they have questionable reliability: no hot-swap drives, no snapshotting, and they seem to handle a failed drive terribly, often by hanging the appliance.

Then there are entry-level SAN arrays (e.g. EMC CLARiiON AX4, NetApp FAS2020). These tend to correct the problems of the NAS appliances (12 x SAS or SATA drives with 4 - 8 x GBe or 4 x FC, snapshotting, hot-swap, even dual controllers), but at a tremendous increase in price: I'm getting quotes for bottom-end devices in the $18,000 - $20,000 range, and sometimes (such as the NetApp) they only have SATA drives!

Given our total budget, we have a storage budget in the neighborhood of $8000, but we could go as high as $10,000. However, we can't seem to find anything worthwhile in this price range. My question is: what SAN solutions are there in the $10,000 price range?

Our wish list would be:

• 10-12 Hot-swap 15k SAS Drives (bare 300GB drives are under $350; 12 of them would be about $4000)

• At least 4 x GbE iSCSI ports

• At least 2GB battery-backed cache

• Support hot-spares

• Drop-dead reliability!

• VMware certified

Other things such as FC support, expansion disk shelves, dual controllers, etc. would certainly be appreciated, but obviously I know I'm going to have to lose something compared to the EMC and NetApp devices.

Regardless of my wish-list, I would be very interested in hearing about any quality storage solutions in the $8000 - $10,000 price range. I would especially like to hear from those of you that use such arrays, and how they handle heavy I/O loads or drive failure. I've heard (and experienced) too many issues with low-end arrays falling over under high I/O load or a failed drive.

Thank you for your input!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The dell MD3200I is under 10K and seems to meet your requirements

--Matt

VCP, VCDX #52, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
jasonlitka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Dell MD3000i has just been replaced by the MD3200i so you should be able to pick one up with dual controllers and (15) 15k 146GB drives for around $10K. I've got one, they're pretty nice for the price.

Your 2GB cache and 10-12 drive requirement would make the MD3200i a better fit though. Figure on 30-40% off list depending on how good of a customer you are to Dell.

Jason Litka

http://www.jasonlitka.com

Jason Litka http://www.jasonlitka.com
0 Kudos
obstmassey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you both for the feedback.

The lack of answers really gives me the best answer, though... Smiley Sad

We are moving forward with a different style of solution: IBM BladeCenter S. It's more than $10,000, but less than a separate blade chassis and storage unit.

0 Kudos
RaleighJon
Contributor
Contributor

My managers have recently asked me to investigate using a BladeCenter S as a solution for us as well. I'm used to full boot-from-san implementations with a hundred or so ESX hosts, so i'm curious to know how your adventure goes. please let me know if you have success or what bumpbs you hit. i might be able to help a bit too.

0 Kudos
obstmassey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will do. We're using ESXi so boot is not a problem: we're even going with the $75 :smileyalert: IBM/VMware ESXi flash drives... Smiley Happy (For our 1U rack servers we simply use a $15 HP flash drive...) The blades will have no internal storage.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The lack of answers really gives me the best answer, though.

There is a difference between SAN and a drive bay with a bunch of disks. Dell makes a good product, but to call it a SAN, I don't think so.

It's more of a NAS. What is the difference?

SAN is like a server, NAS is like a Windows workstation with disks hanging off of it. SAN does ALL the work, the cache, the de duplication, the snap functions, the offload of commands via API (which takes load of of your ESX hosts), it provides iSCSI, Fiber, and many other functions that Windows (as a front end) just isn't suited for. They will do the same thing, but it's the right tool for the job, not just some "cheap" solution.

Your backend storage should also allow you to configure RAID on the fly (without changing or modifying current disk structure). There is way more to it than just simple storage. (At least if you want a SAN)

That's why you can't find this solution sub 10K (that's a REALLY low figure for SAN). multiply times 10 and MAYBE you can find something decent in the "SAN" arena.

Your question should have been "Provide a solution for good Network shared storage for under $10K" and perhaps your results would be better.

There is no such thing as "cheap" SAN storage. You get what you pay for, and by definition SAN cannot be cheap.

0 Kudos
jasonlitka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Uh... Dell's MD3xxxi arrays are SANs. Small SANs that don't scale very far, yes, but SANs none the less. They do not run Windows. They provide block storage via iSCSI with redundant power supplies & controllers, each having multiple network interfaces. They can do snapshots, cloning, live migration, etc., and can be expanded with additional drive racks if more IOPS or storage space is required.

They are, in my opinion, one of the best products you can buy for less than $50K.

Jason Litka

Jason Litka http://www.jasonlitka.com
0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like the best solution in specified price range is just a server like HP DL180 filled with disks and Starwind iSCSI.

---

MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
obstmassey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The BladeCenter S is in production.  We ran into no issues.  Everything was really pretty straightforward. The biggest disadvantage was the relatively simple features of the storage, but it just means that we use ESXi's snapshot and thin provisioning.  So far, highly recommended for entry clusters.  It's scalable to 132 cores, about 600GB RAM and over 7TB of disk, and it can run off of 120V power and no additional cooling, if you wish.  Not bad for $10k!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Yes! BladeCenter S is very cool. It has 6 slots for blades (6 hosts each with 2 CPU 6 cores) and 12 disk of SAS. You could do disk sharing between the blades. pretty coool and best of all it's all in one unit.

bladecenterS.jpg

0 Kudos