VMware Cloud Community
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resizing virtual disk

Hi,

I have a virtual disk that I want to reduce in size.

Situation:

Windows 2008 VM with 200GB Data Drive (Only 50GB being used)

I want to reduce the size of the disk from 200GB to 70GB. What is the best way to do this?

I am using HP Lefthand Storage

On the Windows Server I reduced the size of the drive by shrinking it.

Is it possible to reduce the size of the virtual disk?

Thanks in advance,

P

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

VMware Converter is going to be the easiest way to accomplish this task.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thaniks for the reply.

What should I do? Install VM Converter standalone version on the server that I wish to resize the disk for?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You can do that, or install it on any workstation and run it against a remote source and destination.  Either approach will place files (application or agent) on the VM that should be removed later.  With that being said, I usually use the workstation approach.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If this VMDK is thin and you're just looking to shrink the size on the LUN, a storage vMotion is also an option. I believe you may have to change datastores in some situations get the space back.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I don't seem to get how to do this using VMware Converter. Sorry!!

Just to recap & I'd appreciate if you could fill in the blanks :

1. The server is a live Windows 2008 File Server

2. I have VMConverter installed locally on this server

3. The D Data drive is 1TB & I want to reduce it to 500GB.

4. Can I use VMConverter to convert just a single drive or do I have to do a V2V of the full server?

Thanks for your help so far on this.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To my knowledge you have to V2V the VM ... in the first part where you're asked about "source data" is when you would choose a different size for that 1TB drive (in this case 500GB).

Here's a pic I found on the internet that shows the step where you can change the drive size (imagine this pic with your disks). You would change the "maintain size" option to a specific size. Smiley Happy

http://screenshots.en.softonic.com/en/scrn/59000/59136/vmware-converter-5.jpg

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not trying to hijack but I think this question is related - So after you V2V the machine, you would leave the source server powered off and then simply bring the new one online correct?  Providing you install the NIC on the same vnet and it has the same IP as the original you should be able to simply turn the new VM on and away you go right?

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeah that's pretty much it. You're pretty much just copying the VM with a disk size change. Then you can toss away the original once you verify the copy works fine.

0 Kudos