VMware Cloud Community
SDian
Contributor
Contributor

Reserve 20% of LUN capacity for vmware

Hi All

I have question on the what is relevant to reserve 20% of LUN capacity for vmware. Is this standard practice or best practice. If not what is the best configuration? Your expert advise highly appreciate.

If this has been discussed, please let me know which forum to refer to.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vGuy
Expert
Expert

In my environment, I have kept 10% as the spare capacity per LUN. But there is no best practice configuration or a percentage and it changes depending on the needs of the environment. Our average LUN size is 450 GB which amounts to ~40 GB spare which is not huge. However, if you have 2TB-4TB LUN and you reserve 20% then it would be a huge wastage.

In my opinion if you understand the purpose of the spare capacity you can come with a reasonable and safer no. for your environment. The spare capacity can be used in following situations:

--> To accomodate space for Snapshots. The size required actually depends on the changes being made within the VM. But you can setup alarms in vCenter to control the size of the snapshot.

--> To accomodate space for Virtual Machine's swap file when a vRAM of the VM is increased. The size of the VM swap file is equal to vRAM (without memory reservation configured)

--> To accomodate the need to extend or add new virtual disk on an existing on the Datastore. You can get an average from the no. of such requests you receive on a daily basis.

hope this will assist you in calculating the relevant spare capacity for your environment...

0 Kudos
SDian
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your answer. Now i understand of use of spare.

I have up to 2TB of LUN size so it really a big waste for spare for vmware. I really need to know in how it's been calculated for what you have mentioned below.

Situation : - LUN size 1TB have 3 VM each VM has 100Gb with 4Gb vRam. If spare 20% from 1TB is 200Gb.

A) Snapshot - I have to spare for snapshot about 100Gb

B) VM swap (vMotion) - Total vRam is 12 Gb (4 x 3 VM)

C) Changes in virtual disk - 50Gb Spare (Is it enough? )

So in total i need to spare about 162 Gb of 1TB LUN.

Correct if i'm wrong.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

It's all based on estimates.

On a 200GB LUN I wouldn't allocate more than 150GB, which is a 25% reservation.

On a 20TB LUN there's no way I'd reserve the equivalent 5TB of space.

I would say your estimates are totally valid.

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

Although I would have been little more conservative on the snapshot space but overall your figure looks good to me..

Best of Luck Smiley Happy

0 Kudos