VMware Cloud Community
packerprogramme
Contributor
Contributor

Remove iSCSI Port Binding to Free Up vmnic

Once upon a time, we used iSCSI for our datastore. We have since migrated that to a Pure Array using Fibrechannel. I would like to utilize the physical vmnics that are being used for the port bindings. What is the best procedure for doing that and are there any negative implications to look out for?

I was thinking I could just go into the Storage Adapter settings and remove a couple port bindings. I would think I could remove them all for that matter?? From what I understand, removing the Software Adapter requires a host restart. I don't think I really need to do that. I just want to convert the vmkernal being used for iSCSI to a data port. 

Once I remove the binding I should be able to just add the physical adapters to the proper vSwitch or in my case create a new one for this purpose.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you don't use iSCSI anymore, then there should be no impact with removing the VMkernel port groups from the port binding, and then deleting the VMkernel port groups themselves, and  - depending on your configuration - any obsolete vSwitches that were used for iSCSI.

I'd suggest that you also do some cleanup in the iSCSI adapter, like deleting dynamic/static targets too unless already done.

André

0 Kudos
packerprogramme
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I did also notice that there are still some iSCSI servers in the Dynamic and Static Discovery. Thanks again. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some caveat I'm unaware of. 

0 Kudos