VMware Cloud Community
HelpHelp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDM Question

This is more of a curiosity question as I had no problem attaching an RDM Lun to the PC in question.

When I attach a SAN Lun to the ESX Environment for use with a RDM disk for a specific virtual machine why can't I see an RDM mapping file located in the virtual machine folder? During the RDM Add process on the VM in question I choose to store the mapping file with the VM. When I browse the VMFS Datastore location where the VM files are stored I was expecting to see a new file that references the mapping but I don't see one. Should I be able to see a .rdm file in this location or is the mapping itself stored in the .vmx file?

Thanks for any info you can provide

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will not have an .rdm extension - it will a .vmdk extension - in a reality an RDM is a special VMDK file that redirects the ESX to the Raw Lun -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will not have an .rdm extension - it will a .vmdk extension - in a reality an RDM is a special VMDK file that redirects the ESX to the Raw Lun -

0 Kudos
HelpHelp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for the info

0 Kudos