VMware Cloud Community
Ed_Flecko
Contributor
Contributor

Questions for your storage vendor to help assist in proper VM partition alignment?

I'm trying to grasp the entire subject of partiton alignment as it relates to both the filesystem (NTFS, FFS, etc.) and the underlying storage devices.

My question is: are there questions that should be asked of your hardware vendor (and if so, what questions *should* be asked) to be SURE that any new VMs are properly aligned and/or that any existing VMs are properly aligned.

Here's what I *think* is correct:

Relative to partition alignment for SAS and/or SATA drives (SSDs are a different topic altogether), there are a few things to consider/confirm before you can be sure your partitions (VMs) are correctly aligned:

1.) The VM filesystem (whether it's NTFS in Windows machines or UFS, FFS, etc. for a *nix machine) must be in alignment relative to the underlying VMFS

2.) One of the keys to proper partition alignment is to confirm that partition starting offset is an even, integer value of 512.

When creating NEW VMs, your partition starting offset (whether they're Windows or *nix) must be an even, integer value of 512. For existing machines, if the partition starting offset is not an even, integer value of 512...you have a machine that is obviously out of (partition) alignment that should be corrected (IF you want to optimze performance)

3.) The VMFS must be in alignment relative to the underlying storage appliance.

If these are true, then what (if anything) should I be asking my storage vendor as it relates to correct partiton alignment??? How does the use of RAID and multiple drives factor into proper partition alignment?

P.S. If you know of any additional documentation that you think might help claifiy this topic...I'd love to know about it.

Thank you,
Ed

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

There's nothing you need to ask your vendor besides how serious the impact of unaligned VMs is to their gear.

The method you specify is true for all arrays and all vendors currently on the market using current storage protocols.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
CassSnider
Contributor
Contributor

EMC Clariion and VNX arrays allow you to perform an alignment offset during LUN creation.  However, I don't know of anyone that does alignment offset at the hardware level.  Years ago, when I did Clariion deployments for Dell, we always performed the offset in the filesystem.

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I think that since version 4, if you create the vmfs from the vi client, partitions are automaticly aligned.

Cormac Hogan wrote a post that may help you

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/08/vsphere-50-storage-features-part-7-gpt.html

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos