VMware Cloud Community
sailracr
Contributor
Contributor

Questions about SQL LUN configuration with EqualLogic PS5000XV and ESX 4

We have an EqualLogic PS5000XV with 15K RPM 146GB SAS drives. We have two SQL boxes to virtualize and I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the storage for performance, ease of backup, etc. We want to utilize EqualLogic snapshots for hourly SQL data backup on our two main production databases (one on each server).

Questions:

1. Is it best to present a small LUN to ESX for the SQL OS/LOG files and use the MS iSCSI initiator inside the VM for the SQL databases or present ESX with a larger LUN so everything is inside one VMDK file?

2. In the physical world data, log & os all went on separate arrays and controller channels in the virtual world there is no longer a need for this or how should these be broken up? With an EqualLogic array all LUN's are spread across all drives so every partition/LUN gets the benefit of the I/O of every drive in the array so is there a benefit of breaking things up? It seems with EqualLogic the most important thing is iSCSI bandwidth and multiple paths to the array since all the drives are in play on every LUN? Am I missing something?

Configuration Options:

A. Each SQL VM gets it's own 300GB LUN presented to ESX.

B. Both SQL VM's go in one 100GB LUN presented to ESX for OS/Log files then connect each SQL VM to 250GB LUN's via Microsoft iSCSI initiator for SQL Data

C. Better Options?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

We have a few PS5000XV's and the way I set it up was more along the lines of option B.

A couple of the PS5000XV's are configured in RAID10, so I put my TEMPDB's and LOG files on those arrays, and the database files on the RAID50 arrays. I have the OS boot from the VMDK and use the iSCSI initiator from within the VM. Just make sure you install the HIT Kit in the VM so you can take advantage of the SQL snapshotting.

Also follow this article:

this shows you how to setup MPIO to your EQL box.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

We want to utilize EqualLogic snapshots for hourly SQL data backup on our two main production databases (one on each server).

Do you plan on using EqualLogic's HIT kit for initiating the snapshots? If that is the case then you'll want to use Microsoft's iSCSI initiator from within the VM to access the storage.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

We want to utilize EqualLogic snapshots for hourly SQL data backup on our two main production databases (one on each server).

You can use AutoSnapshot manager.

If you use the Windows snap-in you will need a initiator inside the VM and small disks (one for one VM disks, except the system disk that is stored in VMFS).

If you use the VMware version you could use medium VMFS LUN for a couple of VMs (AutoSnapshot manager make a snap of the entire VMFS volume, so could be useful do not have too much VM on it).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you plan on using EqualLogic's HIT kit for initiating the snapshots? If that is the case then you'll want to use Microsoft's iSCSI initiator from within the VM to access the storage.

I was trying to implement this exact configuration today and ran into a few issues. I P2V'd in the C: volume (OS) into a VMDK on a VMFS volume and I had crated a separate volume on the SAN for the 😧 volume (SQL data). I installed the MS iSCSI initiator in the VM and then attached the new volume from the SAN. This worked fine and I have no trouble access the SAN volume's data but where I ran into issues was during bootup I was having issues with the MS iSCSI initiator not mapping the 😧 drive quickly enough so that SQL was failing because it could not find the databases. I was even having trouble with the folder shares that I had created on the 😧 drive not being recreated because the Server service has already started before the 😧 drive was mapped (reconnected to the SAN) so the shared folders from 😧 were not being shared! I had to manually restart the Server service to get my shared folders back.

I opened a ticket with Dell EqualLogic support but all that they could recommend was setting the MSSQLServer as needing a dependancy on the MSiSCSI service. BTW, this did not work to fix the problem and SQL continues to fail to startup. However, I can manually start the service after logon.

Any idea as to why in a VMware environment the VM is taking so long to initiate the networking at startup? EqualLogic says that I need to use this configuration in order to use the Auto-snapshot Manager Microsoft Edition for all SQL and Exchange servers but I cannot fiqure out this networking issue. Any help would be appreciated! I see that other users here had gotten this configurationt o work so I am wondering what I am doing wrong?

BTW, I am using vSphere 4 on 3 ESX hosts with a EqualLogic PS5000XV SAN.

0 Kudos
s_buerger
Contributor
Contributor

How did you setup the vswitches and the pnics for ms iscsi in vm?

I'm still searching for a best practice like it exists for vmfs iscsi configuration.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/239718?tstart=0

0 Kudos